Tuesday, May 2—Friday, May 5)
Children’s Book Week, observed in May and November each year, is a celebration of children’s books and the joy of reading. Established in 1919, this is the longest-running national literacy initiative in the United States. Its beginnings go back to 1913 when the Boy Scouts of America librarian, Franklin K. Matthiews, traveled around the country promoting higher standards in children’s books. His efforts, along with Frederic G. Melcher, editor of Publishers Weekly, and Anne Carroll Moore, Superintendent of Children’s Works at the New York Public Library, led to the American Booksellers Association and the American Library Association sponsoring a Good Book Week with Boy Scouts of America in 1916. This led to the creation of Children’s Book Week three years later.
Tuesday, May 2
● 10:00-Noon Montgomery County Memorial Library System Table (Shelly Lane; set-up 9:30ish)
● 11:00 Boogie Bash: “Picture Book Boogie”
Wednesday, May 3
● Picture Book Scavenger Hunt (Prize: Each child will choose a book to bring home.)
● 11:00-12:15 Author/Illustrator Visit: Bringing Breezy Home (The Adventures of Bay and Breezy: The Dudley Labrador Sisters), Ashley Ronald Nelly/Sarah Webster Smith (and the real-life Breezy the dog will be making an appearance)
Thursday, May 4
● 10:15-11:45 Pets with a Mission: There will be 3 volunteer dog teams for children to visit with and read a short story to if they’d like.
● 11:00 Shadow Puppet Theatre: “Where the Wild Things Are” by Maurice Sendak
Friday, May 5
● Fairy Tale Friday: Guests are invited to come dressed as their favorite fairy-tale or picture book character (or wear a book-related tee shirt).
● 10:00-2:00 PaperPie (formerly Usborne Books & More) table – Items from their new STEM and STEAM product line, SmartLab Toys, will be available for purchase in addition to a wide variety of books. (Phoebe Frazier—9:00 set-up)
● 11:00 Storybook Theatre: The Woodlands Children’s Museum’s very own “Fairy Godmother” (a.k.a Miss Jan) will read Cinderella.
● 12:30 Storybook Theatre: “Fairy Godmother” will read Little Red Riding Hood.
● Meet-and-greet photo opportunities with fairy-tale characters (Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Fairy Godmother)–10:30, 11:30, 12:45
Sammie is Cinderella; Hannah is Little Red Riding Hood; Miss Jan is Fairy Godmother.