School children can spend their spring break this year immersed in moments of creativity and exploration. SpringBreakation is a week full of hands on exploration and imaginative learning! Our workshops include everything from art to science for ages 4-8. Come and join us for a week of creativity and discovery!
The museum’s Spring BreaKation, scheduled for March 12-16, features age-appropriate workshops designed to build children’s interest and skills in areas ranging from visual arts to science and robotics.
“Spring BreaKation helps families fill their children’s week away from school with enriching experiences they can enjoy in a safe, nurturing environment,” said Angela Colton, executive director of the museum. “Every activity is designed to inspire creative thinking, whether the focus is art or science.”
During Spring BreaKation, the museum will present Discovery Workshops for 4-year-olds and young 5-year-olds. The workshops’ activities foster children’s imagination through dramatic play, squishing, sorting, mixing, swirling, collecting and building.
Four Discovery Workshops are available.
- During Ocean Commotion, children explore underwater life and ocean layers through science and art. Participants can create a coral masterpiececomplete with fish, sea anemones and coral.
- Elves and Fairies in the Garden looks at spring life in the garden. Children create wands, fairy wings and their own fairy garden terrarium to take home with them.
- Art Explosion is a chance for children to get messy as they explore art mediums. Participants work with tempera, watercolors, acrylic paint and pencil while recreating classic works of art.
- Dino Detectives invites children to become paleontologists for a day as they study fossils, dinosaurs and geology. Children will study the Texas state dinosaur, sift for fossils, study the rock cycle and break their own geode.
Discovery Workshops, available 9 a.m.-noon, Monday-Thursday, March 12-15, cost $97 for museum members and $117 for nonmembers.
Also planned are age-appropriate Creative Workshops for children ages 5 through 8. These offerings are designed to spark creativity, introduce cultural discoveries and reinforce scientific principles. Three options are available.
- ARTrageous Workshop allows children to create a new project every day using watercolors, acrylic paint, print, clay and mixed-media collage.
- Got Science? explores physical and chemical properties of elements, compounds and mixtures. Participants also delve into force and motion, construct rockets, conduct hands-on critter investigations and more.
- LEGO® Frenzy Meets Righteous Robotiks helps children strengthen their creative thinking and problem-solving abilities. Children design and build models with LEGO® pieces and kits to satisfy a specific purpose while exploring basic construction concepts, simple machines and how gears work. The curriculum is designed to develop skills in science, simple technology, engineering and mathematics.
Creative Workshops are available 9 a.m.-noon and 1-4 p.m. Monday-Friday, March 12-16. Most cost $119 for museum members and $139 for nonmembers.
The LEGO® Frenzy Meets Righteous Robotiks workshop costs $129 for museum members and $149 for nonmembers.
Lunch Bunch, a supervised lunch break, will be available for $5 per day. Parents are responsible for sending lunch with their children.
To register for the museum’s spring workshops, and to verify times and dates, visit woodlandschildrensmuseum.org/spring-workshops